There are six things you should check before you submit a tech ticket about a student not being able to access Moodle. (Note: Please do not ever attempt to login as the student as it stuffs up the change password process.)
- in BRAD in the student's enrolment record that he/she has actually been put into Moodle (check the 'in Moodle' radio button).
- in BRAD in the student's enrolment record for their username and make sure they are using the correct username to login to the Moodle site (applicable only when the student has been put into Moodle - see point 1 above).
- in your Moodle course's Participants list that the student is actually enrolled in the correct Moodle course (applicable only when the student has been put into Moodle - see point 1 above).
- with the student that he/she is following the on-screen instructions to change their password when they login to the site for the very first time – this is a security measure and every newly-registered student in Moodle must go through this password changing process when they login to the site for the first time and as their teacher, it is your job to guide them through this process (applicable only when the student has been put into Moodle - see point 1 above).
- with the student that he/she is attempting to login to the correct site – sometimes students try to login to the OHS website or the official Moodle website with their OpenHS Moodle credentials (applicable only when the student has been put into Moodle - see point 1 above).
- with the student that they have attempted to reset their own password via Moodle's inbuilt Lost Password feature (if it is in fact their password that is preventing them access to Moodle). Note: For this to work, the student must have already been registered in Moodle (see point 1) and must have access to the email account that they are registered in Moodle with and must be a non-gov student. You should check their official email address by looking at their profile in Moodle, and then telling the student which email account to check for the password reset email. However, please note that government students will not receive the password reset email as the DEC's email servers will block this email. Therefore, when you submit a tech ticket asking for the password to be reset, please state whether the student is a gov or non-gov student.
If you have checked all of the above and the student is still unable to login, please submit a tech ticket containing the student's full name and enrolment number and whether they are a gov or non-gov student, as well as details of the login issues. Please give as much detail as possible, eg state whether the student is "in Moodle" according to the database, or whether the student has successfully logged into Moodle in the past, or if the student appears in your course Participants list. If the problem can be identified as a simple password forget error, their password will be reset and their new login details will be sent back to you. Please remember to read your tech tickets for responses.